Monday, June 1, 2009

"So what can I get for this?"

I don’t know why people keep books that they have already read. Are they trophies to show people what we have accomplished over the years? Is it to showoff how intelligent we are, to give us a sudden bit of snobbery? To show that we have read Euripides, The Good Earth, or even The Kite Runner?

Thanks to Captain Fantastic, I have developed quite an addiction. It’s not a life threatening addiction (no need to call Intervention) but an addiction nonetheless. I have found Swaptree.com.


And it is friggin’ AMAAAAAZING.

In recent years I have been come an avid reader. I love reading and Swaptree has revolutionized my life. It’s great. You list the books you have using the IBSN number then describe their condition. Once you have your “Want List” generated, Swaptree does the rest. They figure out who has what you are looking for and what they want of yours. All you have to do is accept (or deny) the trade, then mail out your piece.

With the help of Swaptree I have acquired a slew of books that I actually want to read and have been meaning to purchase over the past few years. My 2009 summer reading list is starting to develop nicely:
Stiff - Mary Roach
Thunderstruck - Erik Larson (one of my favorite writers)
Mozart's Sister - Nancy Moser
Glamorama - Bret Easton Ellis (another favorite)
The First Assistant/The Second Assistant - Clare Naylor
Twilight – Stephanie Myer
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
Light Before Day - Christopher Rice
The Pilot's Wife - Anita Shreve
Word Freak - Stefan Fatsis (can’t wait to read this)
One Fifth Avenue - Candace Bushnell
Blindness - Jose Saramago
The Reader - Bernhard Schlink
Deception Point - Dan Brown
Geek Love - Katherine Dunn
Nickel and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich
Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis
The Little Lady Agency and the Prince - Hester Browne
The Angel of Darkness - Caleb Carr
1776 - David Willis McCullough
The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky
Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk (a writing god!)
But it gets better! I know what you are thinking, how can such a kicka** service get any better? Dude you can trade (and trade for) CDs, video games, and movies. Seriously. It's pretty sweet! New movies, to classics. PC Games to Wii games (although Wii games are extremely hard to come by, trust me!).

I highly recommend everyone to come down from his or her high horse, clean off his or her bookshelves, and consider using this service. It is free to use (you only pay for mailing out your item) and it helps the environment. In less than 10 months, I have saved a total of $238 dollars and my carbon footprint has been decreased by 305lbs.

Your Daily Barista

http://www.swaptree.com/WebFrmUserHomePage.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment