Friday, June 12, 2009

8 year old + movie = cuteness

This past Memorial Day I had the opportunity to take my 8-year-old cousin, J5, to the movies.

Ok, It was just a pure co-winkie-dink. I had wanted to see Night at the Museum 2 but felt funny going alone. As side note: my father was in fact that creepy person. He saw the first movie on a cruise ship and didn’t think it was strange he was the only adult without a minor. He reason for going to the movie...free popcorn.

With that little nugget festering in the back of my head, I thought it wouldn’t be as creepy if I brought a kid with me. So where does one find a kid when you need one. My nephew (L.C.) is far to small to see a movie, so he was out. When the roomies returned from the shore in the late morning, they brought up (in passing) that my cousin mentioned that he wanted to see it. So being a kick-ass cousin with ulterior motives that I am, I volunteered to take him.

I haven’t experienced a kid at the movies in a long time. And it was such a delight. Although the movie was entertaining (it wasn’t as near as good as the first), I found it was far more enjoyable to watch his reaction to the special effects, his favorite were the talking Einstein Bobble Heads.

J5 was on the edge of seat for most of the movie. His mouth hanging open in awe of walking dinosaur, the mischievous monkey, and the airplanes flew across the screen. I will say some of the effects were pretty impressive. I would have loved to see more of the jumping into paintings and less of the singing cherubs. My favorite effect was the animated balloon dog by Jeff Koons.

The most precious moment of the afternoon came right before the climax. It was a simple a joke about Archie Bunker’s chair. The head villain, played by Hank Azaria (TV’s own Moe Szyslak) proclaimed, that he wasn’t sure whom Archie Bunker was but that he did have the most comfortable throne. The parents (and cousins) in the crowed all laughed and J5 turned to me with a perplexed look.

“I don’t get it.” He loudly whispered to me.
Whispering back, I said, “oh J, one day you will, and you will laugh. I promise.”

Your Daily Barista

No comments:

Post a Comment