Monday, June 22, 2009

I Live In a Constant Seinfeld Episode - Exhibit C

On Valentines Day this past year, my mom and I had a ton of errands to run. Romantic, I know. While we were out we decided to have a nice lunch before heading back home. We live off of a main road and have many eatery choices. Diners, fast food, chain steakhouses, and even a flashy 1950’s style soda shop, all of which were bustling with "day daters."

I told my mom that I would like to go someplace different for a change. She recommended a tiny Middle Eastern place in the middle of one of our older strip malls. She and my father had gone there a few times and had a nice experience. Anyone who knows me, know that I love supporting local businesses. So naturally, I was all for it. I should say that when my parents first told me about it. I thought “A Middle Eastern restaurant in TWP? Really? Well this isn’t going to last. I can’t image any of these soccer moms eating falafels.”

Cinderella Sababa is an unassuming restaurant that opened a few years ago. Not much from the outside, beige curtains in the window hiding the dimly lit dining room. Once inside you realize that it is the type of place that leaves the light off until customers come in order to save electricity.

The very enthusiastic owner greeted us upon entering. He quickly sat us at “any table [we] would like” and handed us menus. The dining room was filled with the most odd décor. For example the booth that we chose had some kind of out door wrought iron terrace made for outdoor use. I couldn't help but think, "this place needs a little bit more of a Middle Eastern feel to it. After all it is the only restaurant of its kind in Township."

The owner was the most perfect realization of Babu Bhatt from Seinfeld. He was sweet, accommodating. He asked us what we liked and pointed out the house specialties. He was also very complementary to my mother and I, telling us how beautiful we were (I was secretly hoping he would say “You are very kind” but he didn’t.)

After we ordered our food: I had a mixed grill kebab, my mom a falafel sandwich. He insisted on giving us a sampling of our food prior to bringing it to our table to make sure it was to our liking. And I must say food was so flavorful and delicious and the Baklava - to die for!

When we left, I felt a little sad. I couldn’t help be wonder when his next customer would arrive, if ever. I felt so happy to support this local business I thought, “My mother was right, I am a good person.”

Here is the supporting evidence:
The Cafe
Season 3, Episode 7 – Aired: 11/6/1991

No comments:

Post a Comment