Tuesday, June 16, 2009

If you don't tip, I will spit in your grocery bag. Wait, what?

Tip jars are getting out of hand. I am finding them popping up in the most inappropriate places as of late. Just because you are doing something for me does not mean I am obligated to tip you. I am sorry some jobs are just that, YOUR JOB! That is what you get paid to do whether it is ringing me up at Jiffy Lube or working behind the counter at a 7 Eleven (I have seen jars at both locations). I classify a job worthy of tipping being one in which the person (or persons) is doing me a direct favor. For instance, I tip my hair stylist, the dudes that wash my car at White Glove, not to mention the wait staff at restaurants. They are all doing a service for me that, honesty; I really don’t want to do.

Last summer while Captain and I were vacationing at the shore, I had to run into a small seaside supermarket. While in line at the checkout I saw a tiny tip jar that read “Vacation Fund” or a similarly trite statement.

Um….No! How about no?

You are working in a grocery store. You were hired to scan groceries. Period. That's your job. You knew this going into it. If you wanted to earn extra money, do something that is worthy of tipping. Don’t just stand there cracking your gum and filing your nails waiting on your idiotic customers to place their loose change in your little tin can. I am willing to bet you get paid minimum wage as opposed to my waitress at the Pancake House across the street. She is dependent on the generosity of her company’s guests in order to pay her bills.

The idea of putting out a tip jar at a job that doesn’t require tipping made me think, “I wonder if I could make some extra cheddar if I put out a tip jar?” If others have the audacity to expect money for doing nothing in particular, then why not me. So starting tomorrow, I will be placing a tip jar next to my computer with some clever note about starving artists or beer funds taped to the front.


Now what to spend the extra funds on...

1 comment:

  1. I actually had someone at Dunkin Donuts try to guilt trip me into tipping him for my $.99 iced coffee. I said to him "Honestly, you want me to give you 20% of a dollar? You used a machine to pump coffee into a cup."

    He was none too happy with me, so I'm thinking it's best if I find another DD because I think he might remember my car. :-/

    ReplyDelete