Monday, June 8, 2009

Decidedly Decent Deeds Done Cheap

As I have said before I live a very Seinfeldesque life, which in itself is a very selfish, egocentric lifestyle. Don’t get me wrong; I am not a bad person. I was raised right. I was taught that I should treat others, as I would like to be treated.

However, as I got older I realized that people are selfish, mean creatures. I lost count of how many men (in my own office building) never let women on or off the elevators first. Once I even bore witness to a woman neglecting to hold a door open for another woman pushing a stroller resulting in the door slamming into the stroller. Don’t even get me started on the lack of “Please” and “Thank you” I come across on a daily basis. I just felt that helping out my fellow man (and woman) went a bit unappreciated.

Today my icy heart has begun the long process of defrosting and I did something that I normally wouldn’t do, I gave a woman boarding the bus change for a $5. I generally don’t like rummaging through my purse in search of something nor do I like whipping out cash in a crowded place. But I genuinely felt sorry for her and I knew I had the change. She spoke very broken English and seemed very grateful.

Oh and I said “Bless You” to a woman who sneezed in line at Starbucks this morning. Twice.

I am on a goddamn roll.

I kinda like the new, helpful me. There better be an old lady in need of assistance crossing Broad Street tomorrow.

Your Daily Barista

No comments:

Post a Comment