Thursday, October 15, 2009

My 3 Faves of the Week

week of 10/12/09

The East Coast Fall Weather:
Coats. Awesome hats. Sweaters. Harvest Candy Corn. Uggs (say what you will.) Reds, browns, yellows, and all other autumnie colors. My hobo gloves. Asses of Fire (aka heated seats.) Spiced Apple Cider with Ginger Snap cookies. Cuddling under a blanket while I watch TV. Oh man do I love fall!!


Surprise! This isn't Jersey. It's from my Adventure in the ADKs

Nails by Vanessa
Vanessa is amazing. I have been a customer of hers for the past 3 years. She is the best waxer and manicurist in Center City. Located in a sweet little salon called Meringue. Salon owner David Willey is a avid collector of cartoon character memorabilia and always has killer music playing.

At Nails by Vanessa you won't sit in a row of foot baths, No sirree Bob! Your appointment with Vanessa is 1-on-1, you have her undivided attention for the length of your appointment.

As I have said, I have been a regular customer of Vanessa for the past few years and will continue to be for years to come. Her waxing style is so gentile. I am able to get my eyebrows waxed during my lunch break and return to work without the red, irritated skin evidence that I was getting from other (Pierre and Carlo. Oops did I name names) salons. Let's talk about manis/pedis (LB's ears just perked up!) her pedicures last FOREVER (FOREVER!) I went to her for a pedicure about a month and a half ago and let me tell you something sisters, I just took the polish off today! Manis are a different story for me at least. I am soooooo rough on my hands. I am not sure if it is because I am constantly typing, or playing with things, but I just can't keep a mani nice. Without fail I can ruin a manicure within minutes of leaving Vanessa's care. If she knew she would kill me. One of my favorite things about Vanessa is that she always has the latest colors in OPI and ESSIE polish and if you are looking for a certain color that she doesn't have, she will pick it up in time for your next visit.

Vanessa has other services like bikini waxing, facial waxing, she even will do a set of fake nails if you wish.

Please check her out next time you need some pampering. She is located at 1440 Lombard Street and does accept walk-ins (appointments are preferred). Her phone number is 215/731-0177. If you think I am playing favorites, check out her reviews on CitySearch (she still has a ton of reviews under her old address on Walnut St) or Yelp. Oh and one more thing...she is a CASH ONLY place (but there is an ATM around the corner.)


The Melrose Diner
Oh man the Melrose. What can one say about the Melrose Diner to someone who has never been there?

I love bringing first timers to the Mel. They are always surprised and a bit confused by the split booths. I always find myself saying "Yes strangers are going to sit there." or "you don't have to talk to them if you don't want to, but chances are they are going to talk to you." They do have a counter but (like in Seinfeld) I don't like sitting at the counter. The coup de grĂ¢ce is getting into one of the two private booths. A booth where it fits two semi-comfortably. Three is a stretch.


The wait staff is miserable and I can't blame them. The Mel's clientele falls into 2 categories: high college students looking for late night grindage, and senior citizens who order one pancake and probably don't tip (cough, Popi.)


The food is touch and go. I like to stick with what I know at the Mel. Usually you say, "You can't go wrong with breakfast" but not at the Melrose. The French toast is thin and wet, the hash browns are cold and pale. So if I were you I would totally get the cheeseburger and fries (H2 if you remember when you used to have to order by number.) The burgers are always good and I personally think Melrose has the best french fries.


You must order dessert at this Diner. They have baking on premise and they are always delicious. I long for February! That is when they make their famous tart Cherry Pie (in honor of George Washington.) I am sure you will see a post about it when the time comes!

YDB

1 comment:

  1. you know me all too well. My eyebrows shot up and the words mani/pedi. I am now wondering if it is worth the cost of going into the city JUST for a manicure.

    Damn you Barsita, Damn you.

    ReplyDelete