Wednesday, December 23, 2009

All the noise, noise, noise

I am convinced that Christmastime is the only time of year that radio stations are permitted to play 5 versions of the same song in the matter of a 2 hours and get a way with it.

'The B,' as we locals refer to it, plays continuous Christmas music starting (this year) the week before Thanksgiving. First off, that is friggin insanity. I mean, nothing puts me in the mood like a good holiday tune, but please dear God wait until the day after Thanksgiving to begin celebrating.

But to be honest, multiple plays and the early start of the music isn't what this post is about; it's really about the content of the song Christmas Shoes.

Driving home from work the other evening, I had the joy of hearing Christmas Shoes by some Christian rock band called NewSong (But, can you really call them a band? Think about it.) Call me heartless I don't care; I am going to say it anyway. It is a terrrrrrrrrible song.

Let's dissect this piece of crap for a minute:

His clothes were worn and old He was dirty from head to toe

Where is this kid's dad? I get it his mother is sick and dying and he is probably at the hospital with her, but seriously, he doesn't have time to give the kid a bath? I am sure there is someone in this family that could be taking care of this kid.

But Barista, this kid is poor!

He counted pennies for what seemed like years Then the cashier said Son, there's not enough here

Well I challenge your theory. Other than the fact that this kid is dirty and wearing worn clothes doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of people with money that look like they need a good scrubbing. Perhaps he is using up all of his piggy bank money to buy these shoes and didn't want to tell his dad. Or just maybe his dad is a little bitch and didn't want to give his son the money for the shoes.

Your point is now moot.

Back to the Dad. Where is he? Did this kid run away? Did he drop this kid off at the store? The song doesn't come out and say exactly how old this kid is supposed to be so one can only assume that he is a minor. So then why is he at, what I envision to be a, Walmart alone?


And about those shoes. When I first heard this song, I was envisioning some sort of a modest black dress shoe; maybe patent leather. However, according to the CD cover they are red spiky sling-backs. Where is the mother meeting Jesus? On a street corner in the bad part of town? Is Jesus her pimp or something?

This song is so bad it almost makes me hate Christmas.

Just some food for thought.

Your Daily Barista

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap I hate that song. Like, it makes me angry. It has taken the top stop that was held by Band-Aids "Don't They Know it's Christmas" for years.

    ReplyDelete