Saturday, July 25, 2009

You're listening to (Not So) Old Time Radio

I am a big fan of Podcasts. I love listening to them while I am designing. At times I find listening to music distracting while I am working. I either sing along, or obsess over finding a good song and station. But with podcasts it just turns into back ground noise that I can easily ignore (strange I know.) I tend to favor podcasts about TV shows, Movies, Music, and other pop culture items. To help my readers navigate the world of podcasts, I would like to recommend some of my favorites:
Scene Unseen Podcast



I am hopelessly addicted to this podcast and my face lights up whenever I see a new episode downloading. I talk about the show incessantly to whomever I am around. The Captain has officially crowned me Queen Nerd for listening to a podcast of movie reviews, but I don’t’ care. Thanks to Chris and Jimmy (the hosts), I have discovered (and rediscovered) so many great films.

The show has a simple concept – one guy sees a movie (usually Chris), the other doesn’t (usually Jimmy, who sounds eerily like Rev. Lovejoy on the Simpsons). The man who has seen the movie must convince the other to see it. Once a week they review a new release and ask the listeners to write in their favorite movie in a category they set up in the previous episode. Awesome, I know.

I can’t lie. I long to be the 3rd reviewer on this show. I love movies and seen far to many to ever count. If they are reviewing a movie I have seen, I catch myself making comments to my computer monitor.

What I love about the show is that the hosts “… are actually industry insiders currently working on major motion pictures…” You can tell by listening that they know what they are talking about and really love and appreciate the business of filmmaking.

If you love movies (and discovering new movies) I highly recommend this podcast.

Favorite Episode:
Blindness (100th Episode) – Guess stars in Seth Rogan and Kevin Smith
The Simpsons Movie – is frustratingly enjoyable.

http://www.sceneunseenpodcast.com/
*Shows may contain spoilers*

In the same vain…



Movies You Should See (by Simply Syndicated)



Movies You Should See (MYSS) is similar to Scene Unseen in that it is a podcast of movie reviews, however, it differs in that they review previously released movies. Another huge difference is that hosts are English. It is interesting to hear their takes on movies that are American classics. I am not a 100% clear as to the backgrounds of the hosts but I think they are theater actors.

Favorite Episode:
Into the Wild - I loathe this movie. I disliked the main character to the point where I couldn’t finish the movie. Finally ! I found someone who agrees with me.

*Shows contain spoilers*
http://www.simplysyndicated.com/



That’s What She Said



Being a huge fan of The Office (American version), I was looking for something that would give me more insight into the show. That’s What She Said is a weekly run down of each Office episode. This is well done podcast with a very clear and consistent format. My only complaint is that the hosts are too judgmental and nitpicky about the show. At times they can suck all the fun out of an episode. The show started during the second season (I believe), so during The Office’s hiatus, they review episodes from the first season.

*Shows contain spoilers*
http://thatswhatshesaid.libsyn.com/



Real Time with Bill Maher



This was one of the first podcasts I ever downloaded. I love the comedy stylings of Bil Maher as well as his political insights, however, I found it difficult to stay up till 11pm on Fridays (again lame I know) to watch his show. The reason why this is one of my favorite podcasts is because it’s the entire show! After listening to the show through iTunes for the past 4 seasons, I found that I actually prefer the podcast to watching the actual show. I will admit that there are some visual gags you miss out on, but nothing a little Google can't fix.

http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/downloads/



Stuck in the 80s



I am not sure how I found this show, but I am glad I did. The show is all 80s, all the time, taking topics from all over 80’s pop culture. Some episodes are better than others, I tend to like the ones that review items I am familiar with, I especially enjoy the shows about hit songs of the decade.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/80s/

On a side note:
I am highly disappointed in the Soup video podcast. While it’s worth the download, I just feel it has such potential to be truly awesome.

Favorite episodes:
Hands down, Spaghetti Cat.


Your Daily Barista

No comments:

Post a Comment