Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Inner Rock Star is now an Outtie

I wasn't planning on doing another product review so soon, but I have fallen in love...

Not to long ago, my mom and I went shopping and decided to forgo our makeup routine at the house and get “makeovers” at Sephora. Ok, so they weren’t technically “makeovers.” We actually just went to Sephora to put our makeup on and “test” the most expensive products we could find, and perhaps buy something. Unlike my mother, whose makeup always looks the same regardless of price, I actually used that as a chance to try on makeup brands and colors I would never think to try.

Since the spring, I have been on the search for a nice pink lipstick. Because of my ruddy skin tone, pinks and reds always look funny on me. They reds tend to turn pink and the pinks were never the right shade.

Well ladies, I found something pretty kick ass. I found exactly what I was looking for by the most unexpected brand.

…this edgy color collection exemplifies old-Hollywood glamour with an L.A. vibe…From pin-up perfection to rocker chic, this limited-edition lineup allows you to tap into your bad-girl side and unleash your inner artist.” Sephora.com
The Color: The color, Backstage Bambi, is fantastic. It is a nice bright, almost, hot pink.


Kat Von D: Painted Love Lipstick Backstage Bambi

The Finish: I give it big props on being a matte finish lip color. Being a matte finish, it allows me to wear it while driving with the roof down. My hair does not stick to my lips. If matte finish is not for you and you prefer a high gloss look, just put on a top coat of your favorite gloss or chapstick and BOOM instant shine.
The Sustainability: Dude, seriously, this lipstick lasted all day. It faded a tiny bit while eating and drinking, but did not require reapplication (another plus for me, I always forget to reapply).
The Taste: none
CONS: It will come off when you kiss someone or something. Poor little Chase (my cat) had a pink paw for a day. I forgot I was wearing it, Oops.
Another plus for this product is its packaging. Being a graphic designer and a nerd I can’t help but be drawn to a product’s packaging. Hell, I have even made purchases based on the packaging. Not the wisest way to spend your money. I have been fooled many, many times.
The picture doesn't do it justice. If you are ever in the store, swing by and just feel it.
For the Graphic Designers reading this, it reminds me of FiberMark Touche Cover


The box is well designed but it is the actual tube that is amazing. The lid is covered in a fantastic, soft-to-the-touch material with flowers etched in silver (as though it were tattooed. Oh Kat Von D, you are too clever.) It just begs to be handled.
I love this product. I will admit it is a bit pricey for a lipstick ($18), but it is well worth the money. Apparently it is on sale for a limited time, I am considering purchasing another tube of Backstage Bambi as well as some of the other colors available.

Your Daily Barista
Images taken from Sephora's website.

4 comments:

  1. Ooo. A lipstick I don't have to reapply? Loves it. Do they have it at Ulta, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, i was just in sephora the other day, you know not really needing anything, and $52 later, I walked out with 2 new (to me) things: Nars eyeshadow and Urban Decay eyelid primer. And you've no inspired me to blog about the wonders of them. I totally checked out Kat's line but didn't pick anything up bc I hadn't heard anyone rave bout them yet. Oh like I need an excuse to go back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,
    I know exactly what you mean. I went in just for the lipstick and walked out with a new Bronzer (I think it is Urban Decay, I can't remember) and brush! I love that store!

    Lizziebeth,
    I don't think they sell it at Ulta. the packaging says "Kat Von D for Sephora"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damdish. There is an Ulta in the Metroplex, but no Sephora. I must scour the globe for one. Or google it. whichever.

    PS.. looove the color on you. Very Modern-Pin Up.

    ReplyDelete