Friday, May 29, 2009

Bring on the Dedications!

It was a beautiful Friday night in springtime Philadelphia. However, I didn’t have the roof of my Beetle Convertible (Bubbles Jr.) down. Usually on a night such as that, I would totally be rolling to the BF's, Captain Fantastic, with the roof down. I really wanted to, but that night I was ashamed and embarrassed.

Why? It was a beautiful night. The moon was bright; a nice warm breeze was blowing all around. My hair should have blowing in that breeze, damnit.

But alas on that night…

I had rediscovered the sugary awesomeness of B101’s late night call in show, Delilah, and there are a lot of red lights between my house and Captain Fantastic’s. For those not familiar with the show, it is the cheesiest piece of entertainment to come around since...I don’t know what cause she has been on the air for as long as I can remember.


I wasn’t sure what I loved the most - the sappy, early 90’s, synthesizer heavy love songs or the dedications to loved ones called in by sad and lonely ladies (oh, and the occasional man). It could even be the random glimpses into Delilah's private life. I always imagine her sitting in a garage-like studio on her home ranch in the Midwest. The walls covered in dark wood paneling and she sits behind her microphone wearing flannel PJs and sipping a cup of coffee.

Since my rediscovery, I have looked forward to reveling in its schmaltzy earworms on the nights I go to the Captain’s.

So in honor of The Delilah Show, I have developed my own Delilah iPod playlist (here is just a sampling):
  • Shania Twain – You’re Still the One
  • Poison – Every Rose Has Its Thorn
  • Selena – Dreaming of You
  • Heart - What About Love
  • Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
  • Savage Garden - Truely, Madly, Deeply
  • Faith Hill - Breathe
  • Aerosmith - Don't Wanna Miss a Thing
  • Roxette - It Must Have Been Love
  • Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
  • Madonna - Crazy for You
  • The Pretenders - I'll Stand by You
  • Warrant - Heaven (my personal favorite)
  • Firehouse - When I Look Into Your Eyes
  • Motley Crue - Without You
  • Journey - Open Arms
  • Meatloaf - I Would Do Anything for Love
  • Taylor Dane - Love Will Lead You Back
  • Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting
if you want to call in a request and dedication visit
http://www.b101radio.com/static/airstaff/delilah.asp

So log on, make a dedication. I’ll be listening (and laughing at you).

Your Daily Barista


* Graphic taken from the link above.

1 comment:

  1. is there a problem with dark wood paneling? my whole updstairs is wood panel!

    ReplyDelete